Thursday, September 20, 2018

Adding Ribbon to Crocheted Blankets (Blanket Stitch Blanket)

This post is sort of a two for one. I showed how to do the Blanket Stitch in a post, now I am going to show you the results of that stitch and a modified version of it. Also, I will show you how to add ribbon to a project.

Finished Product for a friend's Wedding

This blanket has a funny story behind it. I started doing the blanket stitch for it and suddenly life got in the way. I put it aside for a while, focused on other projects and wedding gifts and when I picked it back up I forgot how to do the stitch! I thought I had it right but I forgot a small detail. You have to chain 2 before starting the next round of stitches! 

So I may have invented a new stitch. I have never seen anything close to this before so not sure if it goes by a different name but for now I will call it the "Little Blanket Stitch", it is done the same way as a blanket stitch with one less chain. (The Little Blanket Stitch will turn out bumpy, the normal Blanket Stitch will be flat). 

When the blanket is done (I worked a chain of 150 for 100 rows), You want to add the border for the ribbon. Chain one after the last row, in the first chain from the hook place two double crochets. Next chain three and then place two double crochets in the next spot. (Spot being where you would have placed the blanket stitch). It should come out looking like the picture below. Make sure you repeat the process all the way around. On the corners you will place two  double crochets, chain three and place the next two double crochets in the same corner before continuing.

Before adding the Ribbon

There are a few ways to lace up your blanket. I did mine the hard way since it was my first time. I started at one end and tried to work my way back around. This was very difficult because once you make the turn (and even before) the tension will pull the blanket tight together (the way a drawstring bag would close). I suggest trying to unravel the whole spool of ribbon, finding the middle and work from the middle out. (Or you can start at the 3/4 mark and do three sides and then meet the ends up that way). To me this sounds easier because you will already have enough slack to go around. 

Cautions and Tips: 
I got a spool of ribbon from Michaels, it was about $7.99 (CAN), and it was a good size spool. It just to say went around this blanket, there was enough to tie a bow and that was it so be careful when playing around with the size of the blankets. 



No comments:

Post a Comment