Sunday, January 17, 2021

Writing Challenge - Character Development #1

One of the main parts of writing is developing an amazing character. And part of that is knowing your character's back story. Today I am sharing one of my characters that I have created for a Murder Mystery theme story. This isn't a hard exercise or a long one, it is just a little taste of what it takes to really know your characters.

NOTE: Some writers don't work like this and that is fine, some writers fill in all kinds of character sheets and others just fly by the seat of their pants. Whichever you are is perfectly fine. Usually, I fly by the seat of my pants too but for this project I needed to really develop the characters more so I took on this project/challenge.


Emilia Cole is a younger woman, shy and quiet, she is obviously a hard worker and very beautiful. Her pail skin speaks to her Irish blood and her modest wardrobe speaks to her catholic upbringing. She is a student at a local university and she is studying accounting under Professor Isaac McPhail. They are at Medow Estates to go through the estate of Col. Patrick O'Reilly. Col. O’Reilly had passed away 8 days ago, and as part of his final will and testament, Professor McPhail had been called in by the O’Reilly’s lawyer to make sure everything was in order. With a family like the O’Reilly’s every T had to be crossed and every I had to be dotted. It was clear by the state Mr. O’Reilly’s office was in, that Emilia and her professor had a lot of work ahead of them.

All Rights Reserved by A.L. Keegan (2020)

No comments:

Post a Comment