Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Review Wednesday - HelloFresh (Week 12)

 As we mentioned before, we are doing these reviews a little differently this year. So today we are going to discuss all three meals for this week. (We ordered this in January of 2020.) This week we had Peruvian Lomo Saltado Steak with Spiced Fries, Greek Lemon Chicken with Herby Couscous, Roasted Veggies, and Feta, and finally, Sizzling Pork Fajitas with Roasted Peppers, Lime Crema, and Salsa Fresca.



Alright, we are starting with the Peruvian Lomo Saltado Steak with Spiced Fries. Now I made a few changes to this recipe. Instead of baking the fries in the oven, I made them in the air-fryer. I must admit I did not like them, at all in the air-fryer. I really should have stuck to the recipe. But anyone with more experience with the air-fryer may be able to make adjustments to enjoy it that way. I also didn't use the Jalapenos. I like a bit of heat but not enough to eat them just like that.




One of the things I did love about this recipe was the onions on top. I am normally not a fan of onions. But these turned out really well and they had a great flavour. They even inspired me to write a recipe. I think they would be a great addition to a French Onion Soup or even a French Dip Soup, so stay tuned for that recipe!!


The next recipe is Greek Lemon Chicken and Herby Couscous with Roasted Veggies and Feta. This one was delicious and it really had a greek theme to it. The only thing I would have changed was the Sweet Pepper, I think Tomatoes would have been a better choice, but I understand they wanted to give the dish a little crunch. To me, it seems a little off-putting and out of place. Another thing I would have liked would have been maybe some Capers or some olives, a little salt would have been nice. But again, those are just personal things. One thing I did love was the lemon. Even if you are not a fan of lemon this dish needs it. The lemon makes all the ingredients just pop and it steps the whole dish up a notch.



This recipe really was good. I think it was just combining two really good ideas into one thing that maybe would have been better alone. I am tempted to try and make a Warm Roasted Veggies Salad with these ingredients (minus the chicken) and seeing how that works out. I think it would be great and for added salt, I would make the feta larger chunks. Also, a cold salad would be great too I think using the Couscous and sticking to Greek flavours like Olives, Tomatoes, the Feta (with the olives the feta can be smaller and crumbly like above). I think they would both work really well!


And finally, Sizzling Pork Fajitas!! This one was good also. It is traditional in the sense that there is no cheese (which is how it normally is made), but I think most people (in Canada and the United States) expect cheese. So you may need to add your own if you choose.


Now what I did was I made all the components and put them on a plate. I enjoy doing this with Tacos and Nachos or anything of this nature simply because I find it easier to control the portions this way, and you can enjoy you meal without worrying about there being too much salsa or not enough meat. I also think it makes you feel like you have eaten more than if you just have two or three Fajitas on a plate.



That is it for this week, we have three more reviews to share next week! And who knows maybe we will come up with more recipes from those also!!

No comments:

Post a Comment