Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Peppers and Onions - Multi Use Items

 Last week we looked at Spaghetti Sauce and the number of ways to use it and how to stretch it to get as many meals as possible from it. The next items we are going to do that with are Peppers and Onions. So plan and simple I do half an onion to one pepper, so usually, it is four peppers (sweet peppers) to two onions (medium-sized). If you have a big family you can double that.


These recipes are all going to deal with cooked Peppers and Onions (fried in a frying pan with oil and butter until softened). However, Peppers and onions make a great base for a number of salads also (see our salad section).

So this week we have four meals that are made with Peppers and Onions and we will describe them more below.


Sausage, Peppers and Onions: This you find often at fairs or something like that. They have cooked sausages (I use ones that are stuffed with Cheddar), and they top it with Peppers and Onions. Personally, I fry the Sausages in the pan with the Peppers and Onions (they are pre-cooked sausages that I use), and when it is ready, I butter a bun and toast it in the same pan. Also if you don't like sandwiches or don't have buns, you can cut up the sausages and serve it with potatoes or another side.

Stir Fry: This is so easy to do. You can literally take anything you want and add it to your peppers and onions, any seasoning you want, and meat you want. You don't even have to add meat you can just eat the peppers and onions with rice or pasta.


Chicken Tacos: And it doesn't have to be chicken that's just what I do. But I take some shredded chicken. I toss it with some salsa, and I put it in a taco shell or pita and top it with Peppers and Onions. And it is delicious, you can do this with any meat, of course, it doesn't have to be chicken. (We top ours with cheese, you can top it with whatever you want or have it just like that.


Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches: Sandwiches may be a simple idea, and they are. You can make anything into a sandwich. But one of my favorites is the Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches. I take a brioche bun, I toast that, I top that with Fondue Beef Strips (but any beef strips work fine), I add cheese to that and melt it in the oven. Once the cheese has melted I top it with the Peppers and Onions and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment