Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Review Wednesday - HelloFresh (Week 19)

 This is week 19 of our HelloFresh Review. This week we had an experimentation week because we forgot to pick the recipes so they sent the three meals they pre-selected. This week it was Oven Baked Chicken, Za'atar and Feta Flatbread, and Beef and Lemongrass Curry. So we shall see how these turn out. (I want to say right off the bat that Curry is the name they gave this dish, it isn't a traditional curry.)

So first we had the Baked Chicken with Creamy Potato Salad and Baby Kale. The chicken was rotten when we went to use it (the next day after our delivery). To be honest, we weren't sure. The liquid they package the chicken in often smells rotten, but once you wash it off the chicken is fine. So we weren't really sure if that was the cause or not. I cooked them and as we ate they had a taste, so we didn't eat them obviously. But we had it before and enjoyed it so it wasn't one that we were concerned about. It was supposed to be the safe one that we would actually eat this week. I also had a problem with the Potatoe Salad, it was okay. But I think I would have preferred a regular potato salad or a regular kale salad. The kale didn't really add much to this salad and it really seemed pointless.


So we had a rough start with this box. I was really concerned about the other two. We didn't pick them ourselves, and I had never had Curry in my life or whatever that Zucchini thing was. But I gave it a try. The Zucchini thing was Za'atar and Feta Flatbread with Spinach Salad and Sliced Almonds. This dish was actually pretty filling. I didn't think it would be. All it looked like was some flaky pastry and a salad. But it was very good and it was enough for four people to eat (you would have needed more salad but for the most part, it could have fed more people).


And finally, we are at the Beef and Lemongrass Curry with Cilantro Rice. Now I don't like cilantro so I didn't add it into the rice (personal preference). Now I have never had Curry in my life (or even a Western version of it), but this was pretty good. I was very surprised. It was like a stew meets a stirfry but I enjoyed it. I wasn't a huge fan of the rice, but that is because it did not cook well with the directions they gave, so that could have been user error. I also suggest cutting the beans. They don't say to but I think it would make eating this dish much easier.



No comments:

Post a Comment