Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Beyond Lettuce

 Today we are going to look at salads that go beyond lettuce. One of my personal favourites is a simple green mix, this comes with spinach sometimes. I also love Spinach, Arugula, or Kale either alone or in a mix. More often than not you can substitute a mixed bag of greens for any lettuce if that is all you have.


Again these are some of my favourites that I make myself. You can feel free to play around with any or all of these things and see what you like and what works for you. Most salads are just throwing stuff you like together and finding things and dressings that compliment each other.


1. Mixed Greens

Using mixed greens is so easy as a substitute I have two examples! Above is basically a Caesar Salad. The one on the right has crumbled Feta and the one on the left does not, both have Sunflower Seeds, Homemade Croutons, and Leftover Chicken Breast. I created this meal using items from a HelloFresh box. And it worked out great. This was by no means the Salad they sent me, but I made it my own. It just goes to show you can make any salad into something you like.


The second example is the one that HelloFresh sent me (and I made a small one to sample). It really highlights the use of fruits in a savoury salad and a little "think outside the box" mentality for salad dressings. This one wanted me to combine Jam with the other traditional items to make a Strawberry Vinaigrette. You can find that recipe here.



2. Kale Salad

Kale Salad is my favourite type of salad. One place in my hometown used to make the best Kale Salad. It included grated Beets (raw and shaved with a box grater), grated Carrots, Chai and Pumpkin Seeds, and the most delicious Tahini Dressing. Beets come in bundles and unless I have plans for the other beets, I usually won't buy them. They are a lot of work and they will go to waste if you're simply using them for salad.


For a simpler version I chop up some Carrots, I thinly slice an apple, and I add seeds or nuts I have on hand. A nice Lemon and Dijon Mustard Viniagrette goes great with this salad, but the Tahini Dressing does also (personally I just add a little Tahini to the Lemon and Mustard Viniagrette to make my Tahini Dressing).


3. Lemony Arugula Salad

One thing I love about Arugula is that it is a nice peppery taste and it goes well with almost anything. Sometimes when I want just a simple salad, I just add some heirloom carrots and some raddishes to it. It has a nice taste to it and doesn't need too many additions to it. Especially if you have a nice viniagrette to go with it.


The salad above is one inspired by a HelloFresh recipe. It is arugual paired with roasted potatoes, and a pear (I add apple sometimes if I don't have pears), and I added walnuts to it (any nuts would be fine). And this is with a Lemon Viniagrette and topped with Goat Cheese. The Goat Cheese really adds another dimension to this salad, it gives it a nice creamy tang that goes well with the citrus.


4. Spinach Salad

Spinach is another great green that doesn't need much to make a delicious sald with. The one above simply has toasted almonds and a Balsamic Vinaigrette. And it was delicious! One of my favourite Spinach Salads has Pecans, and fresh Strawberries with a nice Red Wine Vinaigrette or a Cranberry, Bacon and Almond Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing. Spinach has a little bitter "bite" to it that pairs well with sweet, but it is also great with roasted vegetables too. I sometimes add roasted Zucchini with some tomatoes and crumbled Feta.


5. Fruit Salad


Now the title "Fruit Salad" is a little decieving I will admit. But I love adding fruit to my salads. I take any greens I have on hand and add in all kinds of fresh fruits. The one above I have Cucumber, Carrots, Pickled Onion, Pears, Apples and Grapes. And it is delicious. But you can add any fruit to almost any salad, as long as it goes well with the dressing and the other flavours. Another great idea for salads is berries (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, etc)!

No comments:

Post a Comment