Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Review Wednesday - HelloFresh - Week 25

 Again this week we are doing five meals from HelloFresh. This was during April, so in the pique of the first panic wave of the pandemic. Again, we had to order what we could get because a lot of people were starting to rely on HelloFresh for food delivered to their door. So we got to try a lot of stuff we never thought we would or that we didn't originally think we would like. To be honest none of them were THAT bad, but again some were not things we would have really picked if there were other options.


This week we ordered Herby Turkey Sandwich with Cherry Sauce, Chinese Glazed Roast Chicken, Beef and Bean Chili, Spicy Chinese Style Lemon Chicken, and Zesty Italian Pork Chops.


We started with the Spicy Chinese Style Lemon Chicken with Chili-Garlic Bok Choy. The first comment I made in my notes was that this meal was interesting. So my first complaint about this dish si that the only thing that makes this "Lemon Chicken" is that they sent a lemon. Lemon Pepper would have made a world of difference. So I breaded this chicken for both myself and my Picky Eater (PE). My PE likes it better this way. I don't mind regular chicken with flavour but this wasn't promising. Also, this was another recipe that had a lot of unnecessary parts to it. One part I did like about this was the sauce. I baked the chicken so I couldn't make the sauce with the chicken. Instead, I made it with the Bok Choy and that was delicious, it was a little spicy and it really snuck up on me after a while but it was good. Overall, not bad. And I had leftovers too so that's great.



The second meal we had was the Herby Turkey Sandwich with Cherry Sauce Sweet Potato Wedges and Zesty Mayo Dip. I am not really sure why they like giving sweet sauces with meat but this is another one. It came with a Cherry Jam that I was supposed to make a glaze out of, but I didn't do that. I don't like sweets with my meat. It did make me think of leftover Turkey from Thanksgiving and instead of Cherry Glaze, a Cranberry Glaze would be a great substitute. Unfortunately, even on the Wednesday of this week ( we get our box on Monday), the herbs and the salad in this bag were brown and I didn't use them. One final note, the Sweet Potatoes should have wedges, but I never have good luck baking Wedges so I chopped them up and they were delicious and well-cooked like this.


On day three I made the Beef and Bean Chili with Lime Crema, Cheddar, and Fritos. So this is basically fully loaded chili. So it was basically your standard Chili recipe with red peppers in it. And then they sent basically taco toppings for it (Cheddar Cheese, Green Onion, Chips and Sour Cream).

On Day four we had Zesty Italian Pork Chops with Cannelini Beans and Basil Gremolata. Mine looks very different than theirs did. But it was delicious none the less. I believe the only difference is that I couldn't get mine to thicken up as much as it should have. And to be honest, it inspired me for soups. If you just change Pork Chops for Bacon, this would be a delicious soup.


And finally, we had Chinese Glazed Roast Chicken with Ginger-Peanut Rice and Spicy Sauce. This one was very good better than the Chinese Style Chicken from earlier this week. This one wasn't as spicy as that one but had the same amount of flavour. The only issue I had was the rice, apparently it is hard to make different rices when you aren't used to them. My suggestion with any rice is to boil a pot of water and let it boil until the rice is to your liking, worse to worse you can always dump out any remaining water.



No comments:

Post a Comment