Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Review Wednesday - HelloFresh - Week 27

 Today we have five more recipes to talk about. This week was May 4th, 2020, and it was into the COVID 19 Stay at Home Order. As I stated before we started ordering five meals at this time because we wanted to avoid going out as much as possible. This week we had Jerk Chicken Burgers, Roasted Stuffed Portobellos, BBQ Turkey with Farro Salad, Pan-Seared Steak, and Chinese Cashew Pork Stir-Fry.


So the first meal we had was the Jerk Chicken Burgers and Charred Pineapple with Green Onion Aioli and Sweet Potato Wedges. We have had this before I think. I didn't add the pineapple to the burger because I don't like sweet and meat in most cases. But I ate it by itself and it was delicious, it was very sweet and juicy. Amazingly enough, I forgot to take a picture of this one! So the photo below is from when I first made it. Again, it was a very good, smart, and safe sandwich.


Next, we had the Pan-Seared Steak with Peppercorn Pan sauce and Warm Potato Salad. This one also we have had before. This one is a little hit or miss in my opinion. Sometimes the pan sauce works and sometimes it doesn't. You really have to be careful when making this. This time we grilled the steaks on the BBQ. With the warm weather coming that's just a natural thing, to cook on the BBQ more. It also complicates the sauce though. I did my best to make it in the pan anyway, but it split again. It's hard to make sauces you have to be very careful about what you do and how hot your pan is.


After this, I had the Chinese Cashew Pork Stir-fry. My Picky Eater (PE) doesn't eat this and we had to have another dish so I picked this one for myself. Now I will be the first to tell you that our kitchen needs an upgrade. And the rounds are not always reliable. But I cooked this rice for a LONG time and it still kind of hard when I went to eat it. I even threw it in the microwave for a while and it was still crunchy. But besides that, it was delicious, I really liked it. The liquid didn't thicken up as much as it should but it was very good. I think again that may have been my stovetop's fault but I can't be sure.


The next dish we had was the turkey, BBQ Turkey with Farro Salad and Blueberry Vinaigrette to be exact. They didn't have Farro so they sent Brown Rice instead. I had kind of the same problem today with the rice. But it eventually got cooked, even though everything else was long ready before it. It was a little spicy but good, the turkey doesn't have much flavour so the seasoning gave the kick it needed. I didn't make the Blueberry Vinaigrette, I don't like blueberries and again, I don't like mixing sweet things with my meat. Instead, I added the vinegar to some Ranch dressing and that was delicious.


And finally we have the Roasted Portobello Stuffed with Cheesy Chive Mash. This one was disgusting. I hated it and I love mushrooms. It didn't come out the way it was supposed to and it tasted awful. I tried mashing the potatoes and they were undercooked which was my fault but I did follow their recipe and then some. And lets be honest with just sour cream added to them, they weren't great. The salad may have saved it a little but it was brown by the time I made this and really tasted and smelled horrible.


No comments:

Post a Comment