Tuesday, August 3, 2021

HelloFresh Review - Week 28

 On we go with Week 28 of our review of HelloFresh. This week we have five recipes again, we have Mexican Pork Tacos, Pesto Chicken with Lemony Couscous, Herby Asparagus and Tomato Bake, Grilled Surf and Turf Dinner, and Pork Chips with Spicy Cherry Sauce.


This first dish, the Pork Chops with Spicy Cherry Sauce, is a great example of making meals your own. First, I did not make this Cherry Sauce, again I know I sound like a broken record but I don't like sweet stuff on my meat. So I added BBQ Sauce instead. I also didn't like cilantro or lime so I didn't add those. That's one of the great things about these meals, you can add what you like and what you don't like just don't use. It was good, I just found it bland, but that's the "risk" you take when not following their recipe.

This recipe is also a great example of what I do when my Picky Eater (PE) doesn't eat the sides. Depends on how much they send of certain side dishes, I take half and put it in a Tupperware before I make my plate for dinner. If there is a lot of meat I add some of that too to my leftovers but if not I have the sides for lunch one day and add something to it to make it more of a meal.


Next, we cooked the "Long Weekend Special" which was the Surf and Turf. It was an extra $5.99 a serving which is close to an extra $12. So that was a little turn-off, not something we would do often that is for sure. The steaks were good sizes and there was a lot of shrimp so the price may have been worth it after all. These shrimp I was pretty impressed with also. Unlike last time they were cleaned very well. The only downside to this was that you needed a lot of tin foil to cook everything on the BBQ. So we grilled the steaks and then I made the rest in the house. But it was delicious.


Next, I made the Herby Asparagus and Tomato Bake with Israeli Couscous. My PE doesn't eat any of this so it was all mine. And it was actually very good. My only complaint is there was so much feta. And I LOVE feta, but this was big chunks, and it was so hard I couldn't crumble it even if I wanted to. But besides that it was delicious and I think it is the most beautiful thing I have ever made in my life!


Following that, we had the Pesto Chicken with Lemony Couscous and Zucchini Salad. I didn't follow the exact recipe for this. While a Zucchini Salad does sound good, I much prefer cooked zucchini. So I cooked it in the oven with the chicken. It was a very good dish. I am certain I liked it better this way than I would the way it was intended to.


And finally, the Mexican Pork Tacos. These tacos were soft shell tacos again, I have never seen a hard shell taco with HelloFresh. Unfortunately, I didn't get to eat these. Something came up in my personal life and I had to travel back home. So these went uneaten. But it isn't the first time we have had these tacos and they were good before.

No comments:

Post a Comment