Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Review Wednesday - HelloFresh - Week 29

Again, the virus was in full force when we ordered this week, so we got five dishes again. One thing I did notice about five dishes is that you feel a little trapped sometimes. You don't want to freeze anything because the whole point of this is to eat fresh. Also, you don't really want to wait until the weekend because things don't always last until Saturday or Sunday (even Friday is pushing it sometimes). So you feel like you have to eat these things in a timely manner and there is no room to order out or even make something else that you may be craving.

The actual Week 29 box I didn't get. A family emergency caused me to have to go home for a while and I tried to cancel the box. Unfortunately, once you are past a certain date, you can not cancel. I asked them, kind of begged them, to donate the food to a local charity or food bank and though they seemed to take that suggestion they still sent me the box. Luckily I had something else delivered which sent me a photo of the item being actually delivered or I would not have known that food was there and it would have sat there for at least a week if not more. (Thankfully, someone did come and pick it up and he enjoyed the free food so it did not go to waste or our neighbourhood Racoon or Skunk!)

So just to make things a little clearer. The titles of the blogs are going to be based on the number of weeks we got the box and made the meals from them. So this week was interesting. I am not really sure what happened here. The website says I got: Retro Burger, Herby Chicken, Cheesy Creamy Cauliflower Pasta, Mexican Steak Tortas, and Turkey Pesto Cheeseburgers. I can say for sure that I did not make the Cheesy Creamy Cauliflower Pasta. To be honest we had planned on canceling this box also and just forgot. So it made the trip over seven hours from where I was staying to where "home" is. And it arrived mid-week. I wasn't planning on cooking for my whole family when we put the order in for this box, no one but me would have eaten the Cauliflower Pasta so it just went to waste basically. Another strange thing I noticed as I went through my pictures and notes is that we made Mexican Pork Tacos. So I am not sure what happened there. Maybe I got the dates mixed up but I can't see any other place (within reason) where we had Mexican Pork Tacos. Anyways, I will start with those.

I can't really tell you much about these Tacos except that they were Pork with Taco seasoning, some green peppers, and some corn. And I topped it with a Lime Crema, I believe it was this recipe but I am not 100% sure. They were delicious, I added Peach Salsa to mine, I like it that way. But you can add whatever you want to yours. (We coupled ours with a Caesar salad but no side dish came with the meal.)


We did have the steaks too (which I didn't think we did at first), but we did. I didn't eat the bun with it I just had the steak and the salad, but my Mom and the Picky Eater (PE) I live with made sandwiches and they liked it. It was very good, very tender which you wouldn't expect from a sandwich quality steak. And I got introduced to Poblano peppers which I had never tried before. They are really delicious. They have a nice kick to them, not too spicy but still flavourful. I would think that they would be a great replacement to anything using green peppers.


The Retro Burgers were next. There isn't much to really say about these. It is a basic hamburger with onions. The sweet potatoes really don't do much with this dish. I cut them into small chunks to make sure they cook in the time frame the recipe gives and they always burn slightly. This is because of the sugar in them. So that would be my only complaint really. (Probably not worth the money we spend on these bags, but they are a safe choice when picking meals.)


Next was Herby Chicken. This was basically chicken tenders, which aren't bad, but again you could probably make them at home for cheaper than this. Also, the warm potato salad was a little interesting. I think I have had this before. It is really good with the dill that is for sure but I think pickles would add a little more kick to it. One thing they don't tell you is that you should cut the ends and try to peel these peas. Also I suggest cutting them in half, they cook quicker that way.


And finally the Turkey Pesto Burgers. This one was really good! Even I was surprised. I am not a huge fan of ground turkey or chicken for that matter usually, but this was amazing. The pesto really makes the dish and the side salad was perfect. Even know I am still shocked that I liked this and my Mom who is also a picky eater loved it too.



No comments:

Post a Comment