Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Wednesday Review - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's (Philosopher's) Stone (Book Review)

This week we are going to be talking about Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's (Philosopher's) Stone by J.K Rowling. I know you don't need me to tell you about the amazing world of Harry Potter and all the magic the books bring. I am going to tell you my experience with this book, how it changed my life and how it could change your too. 

As hard as it maybe to believe, growing up I hated reading. In school I hated reading, and book reports were my less favourite thing. Of course, I loved being read to, who doesn't but to pick up a book and read myself, it would never happen. Until I came across Harry Potter. I was lucky enough to grow up with Scholastic's Book Order Program in my school and it is where my mom bought me the first three Harry Potter books. 

Naturally, I fell in love pretty quickly with the first book and it just inspired me to read more. Harry Potter taught me that books can be an adventure, and can be life changing and I firmly believe that it made me a reader. I believe that's what all kids need. One book that inspires them, shows them a new world to explore. The older a child gets the more they will explore and enjoy books if they can just find that one that opens them up to the experience. 

I will write a different post for great books for kids at a later date but for now, let's talk Harry Potter. As the Harry Potter series progresses the books do get darker and darker which was a great thing to grow up with. And is the way of life, you realize the older you get the more dangerous and dark the world is (wizarding and muggle world's alike). The first Harry Potter is not dark and it is a great book for a younger age (I'd say around the 5th grade, but as a parent you can judge if your child is old enough/mature enough for this book). 

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone starts by meeting Harry. We learn very quickly that Harry feels like (and is) an outsider in his family and he just doesn't feel like he belongs there. He doesn't belong anywhere it seems, until he learns about the Wizarding World and Hogwarts. Finally, he has found a place where he belongs, were he feels normal and at ease. This is a great lesson for kids and adults. It teaches us all that we belong somewhere and even if that isn't at home or where you came from, it is somewhere, you just have to find it. We also meet the Weasley Family and though maybe not in this book, throughout the books we see that sometimes "Family" isn't blood. Either way, adult or young preteen, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is a great starting point and addition to any library.



No comments:

Post a Comment