Wednesday, March 4, 2020

HelloFresh - Sub Box - Gnocchi Bolognese (3/3)

I am going to start by saying I have never had Gnocchi in my life, and neither has anyone in my family. Gnocchi is a type of pasta but it has the consistency of a dough-like a dumpling of sorts. They are typically made using potatoes along with flour, eggs, cornmeal, and other ingredients. The Picky Eater (PE) I live with can not eat potatoes or pasta so he skilled this one, but my Mom and I tried it. (We tried this recipe on December 28th, 2019.) 

It was interesting. I found the Gnocchi a little plain. Maybe I didn't season it aggressively enough but I added salt to the water they boiled in. I also think the sauce they had me make was not great and it overpowered the Gnocchi. I think an oil-based sauce would be better, like a pesto. Also, what they call sauce is just crushed Tomatoes, Beef Broth and Worcestershire sauce. 

I saved the Red Pepper Flakes from the Pizza bag and added them to this sauce but even that didn't give enough flavour. I am not sure why they thought Pizza needed the spice and the pasta sauce didn't. But this isn't the first time I find their pasta sauce has no flavour at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment