Tuesday, January 7, 2020

GoodFood Box - Chicken Schnitzel with Radish Salad (1/3)

Spoiler alert: before I even start this I must say I FORGOT to take a photo of the end product. But I did take notes so hopefully, that is good enough. I do have photos of the other meals I have made so this is just a one-time thing. (Also, I messaged Good Food for their permission to share a photo. They haven't gotten back to me, if they do I will update this post.) You can click on the word recipe to be taken directly to the GoodFood recipe.

I made this recipe on Wednesday, September 25th, 2019. Wednesdays are pretty busy for us so we kept one of the boxes for this day. We ordered three a week and my Picky Eater (PE) doesn't eat the other two (which is fine because he is going out for dinner two nights, so it will just be me). This is the only one he would enjoy, so we made it on a somewhat busy night. I thought there would be a lot of prep work with this. The bag was heavy and obviously had a lot of stuff in it, so I went to start doing that early.

And I was pretty shocked when there was no prep work at all.  Step one was to cook the Bulgur. My first reaction was, what in the world is Bulgur. I had never heard of it before and to be honest with you my best guess what it was a type of rice or grain. (I looked it up on Wikipedia before I cooked it to make sure I knew what I was eating - Bulgur.) It also seemed to have the flavour of rice because I was instructed to season it with a mixture they pre-made and scent. 

As the Bulgur cooked, the instructions told me to start preparing the chicken. This was just the basics of breading chicken. It was mayo on the chicken and then coated in season breadcrumbs (the same seasoning they gave for the Bulgur). Here is where I have a little hard time with some of these recipes. The recipe said to cook for 3 to 4 minutes on both sides (for a total of 6 to 8). To me that's not enough for chicken, it could be my oven but I don't find it cooks enough in that time period. So I just eyeballed it really. You will see the chicken turn white under the breadcrumb and you will notice the breadcrumb coating start to brown. You want to cook it on a low enough heat so you don't burn anything but high enough so that the middle cooks.

Once the chicken was cooked they told me to make the salad dressing. They had taken all the work out of making a salad. They sent me a package of mixed greens and a package of pre-sliced radishes. The salad dressing was really simple to make and it was really good actually. It was beyond what I expected (and I can say I haven't had a salad dressing - from these boxes - I have liked as much as this one). 

The Opinion:
Overall, everything was delicious I was very pleased with it. I think a lot of thought was put into what would go well together. The salad dressing actually got drizzled over the salad and they encourage to add it over the Bulgur also. I don't really enjoy my food mixing for the most part so I didn't do that at first. But as I ate I was reminded of another dish that I mix a salad with my rice and I enjoy it better that way. By the end, I was mixing everything together. I really like that because sometimes the sides seem to be an afterthought so it was nice that they went well together.

I also loved that they let me make my own salad dressing and didn't send a pre-made one. I loved also that everything came in the box (except oil) and they didn't really ask me for anything else from my kitchen. I also liked that they sent honey instead of asking me to add my own sugar (the more boxes I got that seemed to be a common thing, and I wasn't really sure why).

I also loved that it was easy to do. I didn't have to be Gordon Ramsey to make this dish and that's great. It was also simple but delicious. Which some of these boxes get way too fancy and it just takes away from the experience. 

One of the only real cons I have is that my PE only ate the chicken, but that's more his fault than the boxes fault. You do have to keep that in mind. You know your family the best so make sure you read what goes into each recipe before picking it. Your family may not like everything in it like mine doesn't. Of course, you do it all yourself so you can control what goes into it and what doesn't. That's a good thing for sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment