Thursday, January 9, 2020

GoodFood Subscription Box - Mediterranean Shrimp and Orzo (3/3)

I was alone for this meal also. Which is a good thing because my Picky Eater (PE) doesn't eat seafood and would not have eaten any of this meal. I picked this recipe because I love Greek Salads and the recipe had all the components of that. I also enjoy seafood so I figured they would pair well. The description on the front of the card said:  Is there anything better than a Mediterranean-inspired recipe to celebrate the last of the warm weather? This recipe will do just that! Light orzo, savoury shrimp, fresh tomatoes and a generous sprinkle of feta cheese come together beautifully on tonight’s plate. Perfectly balanced in both flavour and nutrition, this is the perfect quick to make weeknight meals (GoodFood Recipe - Mediterranean Shrimp & Orzo). I made this on September 28th, 2019. You can find the recipe here.

This meal was a little harder for me to get behind. Naturally, the Orzo had to be cooked first; as the water was boil I was told to take care of the "Mise en place". This was chopping up stuff, picking the mint and stuff like that. It also told me to pat the shrimp dry and get ready to season them. Thankfully before that, I noticed they weren't deveined properly. So I had to take a knife to them and devein them myself. Again this recipe called for a shit ton of bowls. I decided to just leave everything on the cutting board or to prepared them as I went. The recipe called for a large pan and a medium pot, but I think you could get away with just a large pot and make this into a dump meal. The instructions were very simple. You just had to cook off the seasoned shrimp and remove them. Cook off the vegetables and then bump everything back into the pan. Once everything was mixed well you plated and topped with the remaining ingredients and garnished.


I wasn't a huge fan of this one. I loved the concept but I don't think it worked out as well as it should have. I think for one thing the wrong herbs were used and that was a big turn off. I think this would have either been better cold and without the shrimp or warm with a different sauce and some different ingredients. I understand the tomatoes were supposed to be a type of natural sauce, but it didn't really work that way.


The Opinion:
It wasn't bad, I still ate it and it was good. But I think it could have been better. I didn't really like that mint was given in this recipe, I think oregano is more Greek and would have gone better with the dish. I did like that they gave a list of what was in the seasoning so that you could figure out for yourself if you wanted to add it to the shrimp and if you would enjoy it. I do think more seasoning should have been given and may be added to the orzo after it was cooked with a little oil or something. I also didn't like the Feta they sent. It was cut in cubes already and it melted with the hot Orzo. I would have prefered a block of cheese that I could have crumbled over it.


No comments:

Post a Comment