Thursday, January 2, 2020

Subscription Boxes (Food)

One of the changes I made to my life last year was adding a food subscription box to my life. These things are becoming very popular and there is one for almost any and everything now. The ones I tried were specifically food-related. I plan on writing a few blogs of my experiences with certain companies and just my journey with these products as it goes along. They have many pros and cons to them and I hope to point those out and help someone make a more informed choice. 

The whole point of these boxes is to make supper easier. You order what you want (you can order for 2 or 4 people and for 2, 3 or 4 meals a week), and everything is sent to you. This means you will only need a few basic things (like oil, butter, sugar) things that the company considers everyday items. They send you everything else including the meat and produce. The first box I tried was from a company called Good Food. One of the nice things about Goodfood is that they state all their packaging can be recycled. They also send you that information in the welcome package. It tells you how to recycle everything and make sure not to cause waste. They have a system that makes sure your food stays fresh and the food is supposed to stay fresh for up to a week. (Most boxes are similar.)


One thing I enjoyed about Good Food is they break down their recipes. You have categories like Classic Meals, Easy Prep Meals, Low Carb Meals, Vegetarian Meals and Family-Style Meals. This makes it easier to focus on meals that are suited for you. I also like that you can view their meals without signing up. So you can get a general idea of what they offer and you can subscribe or wait based on what you see. (They have also branched off to Breakfast plans also!)
My first order came on a Monday (September 23rd - to be exact, so don't expect these same meals). I live with a Picky Eater (PE) and he also has food restrictions, I also have food restrictions (lactose intolerance), so it was interesting to see what things they offered and if they would suit us or not. I am open to most things and cook so I didn't have as hard of a time buying things that I would enjoy but my PE did. 

We did this on a trial base for that reason (and because we had a discount code) so really even if my PE didn't eat some of the meals, we were still not losing out on much. I ordered Greek Shrimp and Orzo Salad, Sausage & Maitake Mushroom Orecchiette and Chicken Schnitzel with Radish Salad. Out of these three, my PE only ate one of the dinners (the Chicken), but it worked out okay for us because of our schedules. This post is just an introduction to what I will be writing about and showcasing and why (blogs about the meals and my thoughts will come). 

No comments:

Post a Comment