Friday, January 17, 2020

HelloFresh Subscription Box - Italian Steak Strips (3/3)

have to say that even though this recipe didn't impress me, I did learn a lot from it which is one of the great benefits of having this box. I can say flat out that this is just a fancy Caesar Salad (in my opinion). It was very simple even though it said it would take 30 minutes. The taste was questionable a little but it has great potential and that's good. I made this recipe on November 9th, 2019. My Picky Eater did not eat this one, so the photo you see is what two servings would have been (a little small on the portions here, I think if we would have both ate, we probably would have needed another side or something). 


Surprisingly enough, step one was to make the croutons. This was simple enough and as you can imagine it was just toasting bread in the oven. (I really loved this, I like that they didn't just send pre-made croutons from a bag or something.) Cooking the steak was actually one of the last steps in this recipe. They said that the steak strips would take about 6 minutes to cook. This depends on how you like your steak done of course, but I always take their times with a grain of salt. Cook depends on your taste and it also depends on your kitchen, so you have to use some common sense at times.  

I had the complete opposite thought about the salad dressing. They seemed to deconstruct standard Caesar Salad Dressing and try and make you reconstruct it in a lighter version. It tasted awful. I would have preferred if they had just sent a pre-made Dressing instead. This also is one of the reasons I don't like that they just send bulbs of garlic. Without blending the dressing, all you have are chunks of garlic, no matter how small you grate them. 


Overall, it was okay. It wasn't anything spectacular. I will say it is a different idea, adding steak to a salad but, I would have probably stuck with chicken. One of the great things to take away from this was the croutons though. Once you made them yourself, you'll never buy them from the store again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment