Thursday, January 30, 2020

HelloFresh Sub Box - Oven-Baked Chicken with Creamy Potato Salad and Baby Kale (3/3)

This recipe was pretty interesting. I had never heard of a warm Potato Salad before and it wasn't something I thought would work well with these ingredients. I will say the title was a little misleading. They actually put Kale in the Potato salad so that is why I changed things up. Kale I think is kind of like Spinach in the sense that if you put hot food near or around it, it will wilt. I didn't really want this to happen so I decided to make this salad cold instead. So I didn't do the recipe exactly in the steps they called for. I made the Potatoes and cooled them so that I could make the Potato Salad traditionally. I made this recipe on November 22nd, 2019. 


I don't have much to really say about this recipe. The chicken was basically just battered and baked, nothing too special or extravagant. The only thing I would have maybe done first was pan-fried it first so that the "crust" and seasoning would have stayed on better, but that's just a personal preference. I have a few changes I would have made to the Potato Salad but keep in mind I had mine cold so these changes may not apply to a warm salad. I would have changed the Shallots to Green Onions. I find the Shallots are strong and I usually prefer to add Green Onions to salads. I can see why they would suggest Shallots for a warm salad, I think that I would fry the Shallots though if I was using them. I would have also added a little pickle juice to the Mayo but again that is probably a cold Salad thing. 


Now what I learned from this recipe is this. HelloFresh gets the freshest ingredients. This DOES NOT always mean they are Canadian ingredients. That is one of the things that I misunderstood I guess. Maybe I just assumed they would be getting items in Canada because that's where I am from, but that is not the case. And I figured this out because the pickles they sent (that I LOVED), were from America. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just if that is an important thing for you and your family, now you know. 


No comments:

Post a Comment